Imagine how thrilled I was to find that one of my favorite iconic design figures has finally released a book illustrating this philosophy. Jan Showers, of Dallas has released "Glamorous Rooms" (Abrams, $50). I knew that I loved her work, and design vision, but had forgotten what a huge influence she has had on me and my work.
- Make good eye-level lighting a priority. "Nothing is more important," says Showers, who sprinkles rooms with curvy lamps and sparkly sconces to create an intimate glow.
- Use color to create a mood for each room. Prime example? "I wanted my dining room in Dallas to feel cool and calming, so I chose a wonderful sea color. Everyone loves it."
- Style should not preclude comfort. "Chairs and sofas should be incredibly comfortable; otherwise, no one wants to sit in the room."
- Invest in at least one great piece of furniture - preferably an antique. "This is what adds character."
- Place a table by every chair for drinks. "Enough said!"
- "A lot of people say is it OK to have a mirror in every room. I say it’s not OK not to. A mirror can add a window on a wall, and it also adds an element of sparkle or shimmer."Please also check out this incredible line "Shine" by s.h.o. (see below) Tailored, restrained, elegant...Glamorous!